Thursday, November 15, 2007

Edmund Spenser sonnet



One day I wrote her name upon the strand, A
But came the waves and washed it away; B
Again I wrote it with a second hand, A
But came the tide, and made my pains his prey. B


Vain man," said she, "that doest in vain assay, B
A mortal thing so to this decay, C
For I myself shall like to this decay, B
And eke my name be wiped out likewise." C


Not so," quod I, "let baser things devise C
To die in dust, but you shall live by fame: D
My verse your virtues rare shall eternize, C
And in the heavens write your glorious name. D


Where whenas death shall all the world subdue, E
Our love shall live, and later life renew." E


This is a sonnet that I chose for Edmund Spenser who is another poetic from Renaissance. Spenser groups his poems out in four different rhyme schemes, and his rhyme scheme is broken down in sections a little similar to Shakespeare rhyme scheme. But it broken down like this ABAB BCBC CDCD EE. The first part of this sonnet would be ABAB. The first line A says to my best understanding one day he wrote a females name in the sand at the beach and it continues with the first line B which says but the waves from the ocean washed the name in the sand away. The last two line in section one of ABAB would be the second line A which by my reading it understood it as he wrote the name in the sand again after it had been washed away once, second line B continues and the waves came and washed the name away again and he cried. Section two of this sonnet would be BCBC. When I read over this section I understood this part to be saying, that the woman is saying to the man that he’s being silly writing her name in the sand thinking that she gone live for ever, but when she dies her names gonna fade way with her. The third section of the sonnet would have to be the CDCD section and I best understood it to be saying, not so said let the lower things die in the dust because will not forever be but she will be eternal to him through her poem which will live forever. The fourth section of this sonnet is the last par which is EE. This says when we die our love will still be.

No comments: